Andrew is an executive level HR professional with significant development and talent management expertise and a track record of building strong relationships with senior business leaders. This has been developed through working in a FTSE100 engineering and manufacturing organisation in roles across Aerospace, Naval and Commercial Marine, Nuclear and Operations sectors as well as corporate positions.
Andrew has international experience as the HR Director for a global business of 2,000 people, with four years based in Singapore, and has particular in-depth understanding of working with UK, Asian and Nordic teams and cultures. He’s also led the early career strategy and activities in a global engineering company, including education outreach, attraction and recruitment, and school leaver, apprenticeships and graduate development programmes.
Key areas of expertise
A Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, Andrew has significant expertise in:
- Employee development and training strategy and processes design and implementation
- Organisation design and development, role definition and competency profiling
- Change management, including new facility start-ups
- Training Needs Analysis for individuals, teams and organisations
- Leadership development programme design and facilitation
- Design and delivery of team development meetings, start-ups and high performing team workshops
- High potential employee identification and development, talent management and succession planning
- Strategies for attraction, recruitment and development programme design for school leaver, apprentice and graduate schemes
- Recruitment assessment centre design and facilitation
- Performance management framework implementation
- Conference and event design, organisation and facilitation
- Coaching leaders, early career and high potential individuals
Following an initial career as an engineer, Andrew has demonstrated delivery in senior HR and development positions. He’s led the HR workstream on a £40m new manufacturing facility build, he’s been the Head of Employee Development for a 7,000 people Marine business and the Head of Early Career in a business recruiting over 1,000 trainees a year. He’s had international experience as the HR Director for a £600m turnover, 2,000 people global services business based in Singapore and has developed the executive recruitment, development and reward strategy and processes in a three-company joint venture team bidding for a £7bn nuclear decommissioning contract.
Andrew has now set up his own development business to allow him to focus on the areas of work he is passionate about and where he can really make a difference.
‘Andrew was a key member of my executive team for two years when I was President, Rolls-Royce Marine Services based in Singapore. He was an excellent sounding board, operated with complete integrity and I valued his support. His style is very collaborative and he gained the respect of everyone in the team during the time we worked together. Andrew has a high level of commitment, is well organised and consistently delivers.’ – President / CEO
‘Andrew operated in HR at senior level and has very significant employee development and talent management expertise, as well as senior generalist HR experience in an international environment. Earlier in his career, he was an engineer and I think this gives him a certain pragmatism that many died-in-the-wool HR professionals lack. He is extremely delivery-focused and can be relied upon to come up with innovative ideas and solutions. He is also a very accomplished presenter, and I have seen him perform brilliantly in front of 200 seniors.’ – SVP HR, Marine and Asia Pacific and Middle East
‘Andrew has the ability to combine good innovative ideas with positive impact on the business. He is supportive, calm in a crisis and has a great sense of humour. All of this makes Andrew an excellent person to work with.’ – Talent Development Manager, EMEA
‘I worked with Andrew over a number of years and in a variety of roles. Allied to his strong interpersonal skills and a collaborative approach, I benefited from and valued his expertise, advice and support in the areas of organisational change, employee and team development and high potential talent management.’ – SVP Offerings and Commercial, Marine Services
Qualifications, training and professional memberships
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (FCIPD)
- British Psychological Society Level A and B
- Post-graduate Diploma in Personnel Management
- Post experience Diploma in Engineering Business Management
- BEng(Hons) Mechanical & Materials Engineering
- Executive Coaching skills
- DDI competency interviewing
- Internal Consultancy and Organisation Development