Paul is an experienced leadership and HR consultant, ICF-credentialled coach (ACC), and facilitator. He established his consultancy practice in 2016, following a highly successful corporate career across the FMCG, food, engineering and utilities sectors holding HR Director-level positions within blue-chip businesses such as Babcock International, E.on UK and Cargill.
A professionally qualified member of The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (MCIPD) and having operated at a senior level in major businesses, Paul has a strong understanding of the very real challenges of leadership responsibility and brings the value of this experience to his wide-ranging client base.
Key areas of expertise
During the course of a 34 year corporate career, Paul gained experience and insights into many of the key dilemmas and challenges facing HR Directors and Heads of HR today. For example:
- Significant organisational change – company integration, business start-up, asset disposal and site closure, market driven re-structuring and downsizing, etc
- Organisational design and development – resourcing an effective HR delivery model including experience of the move from devolved HR accountability to the Ulrich model (Centres of Excellence, HR Shared Services and ‘in business’ HR Business Partners)
- Supporting HR leadership teams in their quest to develop common purpose, improve collaboration and relationships between team members based on a purposeful approach to organisational challenges and conflict
- Creating meaningful employee engagement based on coaching Board level and Senior Management personnel to become more authentic and people-centric leaders
- Creating credible talent identification and development processes focused on meeting medium- to long-term resourcing requirements
This real-world experience is an important underpin to Paul’s value to HR leaders who are looking to make a step change difference in their people strategy. Combined with his coaching and mentoring skills, Paul is particularly adept at facilitating HR teams seeking to develop their vision, purpose and priorities against the strategic goals of the organisation. As such he enjoys the challenge of helping HR leaders cut through the multitude of conflicting challenges and find their true focus: what really needs to happen (and what will it take) to bring about value-add HR delivery .
Whether it’s in the consultancy, coaching or facilitation space Paul has a reputation as a strong and effective presence. Pragmatic and possessing natural gravitas, his clients say they find his style engaging, and strongly outcomes-focused – a business partner who, although challenging when appropriate, is truly supportive of individuals and teams seeking to develop their future direction and plans.